Bedworth United go top of the table after victory over Thame United

  Posted: 05.10.20 at 16:17 by The Editor

Bedworth United hosted Thame United this weekend, as manager Stu Storer made two changes to the team that beat Barton Rovers on Tuesday night.

In came Kyle Barnett and Luke Keen, with Ricardo Dudley absent and Sam Walton moving to the bench.

Bedworth supporters were presented a feast of football on Tuesday night and they could have been forgiven for thinking that they wouldn’t see a game that good again this season, let alone in the same week.

The first 15 minutes saw both teams feeling their way into the game with neither goalkeeper being tested.

Thame though did have two penalty shouts waved away by referee Kurt Bartlett.

On 18 minutes though it was the Greenbacks that would break the deadlock. Rich Blythe lofted a clever ball through to Mitch Piggon who gladly accepted the chance to lob Rackley in the Thame goal to put Bedworth 1-0 up.

Bedworth United now sit top of the table after two wins from two

It wasn’t long after, that things went from bad to worse for Thame when Joe Wylie kicked-out at Reece Blackmore and referee Bartlett had no hesitation in showing the red card.

This put Thame down to 10 men and a goal behind, but this seemed to galvanise the visitors and on 36 minutes they equalised through a well-taken Harry Mepham free kick.

Thames fortunes then improved further after a long ball Ryan Blake found himself one-on-one with Crane and duly slotted the ball past him to send the visitors in at half time 2-1 in front.

Half Time Bedworth United 1 Thame United 2

The visitors lead didn’t last long though as three minutes after the break, Piggon again found the net.

Good work from Dawson on the left wing saw him get free, allowing a cross into the box. Piggon directed his header past Rackley to level the score at two each.

With Bedworth a man to the good they pushed forward for the winner, but were being met by a resolute defence from Thame.

Thame had chances on the break to take the lead again, but could not get past Crane in the Bedworth goal.

Things then got even worse for the Oxfordshire-side when Mapley (already on a yellow card for an earlier foul on Dawson) brought down Blythe in the midfield and received his second yellow.

This left Thame with nine men for the final fifteen minutes.

Bedworth’s pressure eventually paid off when a corner was met by a bullet-header by Kyle Barnett for his first goal in a green shirt.

Thame did break free in the final minute, but Dan Crane stuck out his left foot to prevent a certain goal from Lynton Goss.

Bedworth held on through injury time to keep all three points at The Oval and maintain their unbeaten start to the campaign so far.

One thing that can be said about the Greenbacks so far this season is that you definitely get your moneys-worth for your admission fee.

Two games, 12 goals, two red cards and six points, what more could a Greenback supporter want?

Full Time Bedworth United 3-2 Thame United

Team: Crane, John, Steele (Rowe), Parrott, Barnett, Mulders, Dawson, Blackmore, Piggon, Keen (Deards), Blythe

Unused Subs: Bent, Walton, Albrighton

Man Of The Match: Mitch Piggon for his brace and work in holding the ball up.