Bedworth United knocked out of FA Trophy by St Neots Town

  Posted: 19.10.20 at 09:54 by The Editor

Bedworth United manager Stu Storer made two changes from the team that drew 1-1 with Dunstable, ahead of this weekend's FA Trophy clash with St Neots Town at home. Andrew Walklate came in to replace the absent Dan Crane, and Ishmael Dawson dropped to the bench to be replaced by new signing Philip Bilson.

The first half saw few chances, as neither keeper had much to do. Bedworth had a few half chances but nothing really to write home about.

The home side were had the majority of the ball, but could not find that final pass to produce a meaningful chance.

Things started to go downhill though for the Greenbacks when Keen limped off with an injury after 20 minutes. Indeed, the best chance of the half did fall to St Neots when a ball bobbled around the Bedworth area and was eventually struck goal-wards, but blocked by new boy Bilson.

With time ticking down to the break it was St Neots though that broke the deadlock when Bilson was adjudged to have tripped Worman in the Greenbacks area with a minute of the half left. Robbins made no mistake from the spot sending Walklate the wrong way to put St Neots in front.

Half Time Bedworth United 0 St Neots 1

Bedworth started the second half on the front foot and looked like they had levelled when John had the ball in the back of the net, but St Neots were saved by the linesman's flag in a decision that looked marginal to say the least.

Things then got worse for the Greenbacks. When a St Neots player made a meal of a Blackmore challenge words were exchanged and from out of nowhere the ref was brandishing a red card much to everyone’s confusion. It transpired that the referee believed Blackmore was aiming his words at the official, rather than the opposition.

The sending off though seemed to give the Greenbacks some fight and they soon equalised when Mitch Piggon broke the St Neots offside trap and from a tight angle blasted the ball high into the roof of the net.

The score stayed level for less than 15 minutes though, when Bedworth were caught short at the back the ball fell to Gomersall unmarked on the left hand side of the box and he arrowed a shot past Walklate to restore St Neots one goal lead.

Within a minute that lead was doubled when a poor clearance from Barnett was picked up by Amu who fired the ball low into the corner of the net.

With Bedworth chasing the game and a man light, gaps at the back were inevitable. With thee minutes left to play Bennett this time found himself with the space to fire home to make the score 4-1 to St Neots. It could have been even worse had Walklate not produced a fine save to stop a Gomersall effort from flying into the roof of the net.

Full Time Bedworth United 1 St Neots Town 4

Team: Walklate, Bilson (Walton), Steele, Parrott, Barnett, Mulders, John, Blackmore, Piggon (Dawson), Keen (Deards), Blythe
Unused Subs: Moore, Truslove, Rowe, Templeton

Scorer: Piggon

Man Of The Match: Rich Blythe 10/10 for effort when the Greenbacks went down to 10 men to try to keep Bedworth in the Trophy.